Producer Online News
Using the Scope of Sales Appointment Confirmation FormSeptember 27, 2012
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) requires you to document any face-to-face sales meeting with a Medicare beneficiary. The purpose of this is to make sure both you and the beneficiary understand what will be discussed during the meeting. The sales person is bound to discuss only those products that have been agreed upon by the beneficiary during that appointment; distinct lines of plan business include Medicare Advantage (MA) and Prescription Drug Plans (PDP).
If other products need to be discussed at the request of the beneficiary, a second scope of appointment must be documented for the new product type, and then the marketing appointment may be continued.
To ensure proper routing of the Scope of Appointment form, we recommend that you use the attached, approved Scope of Sales Appointment Confirmation Form. Each Medicare beneficiary, or his/her authorized representative, needs to complete a form prior to an appointment (at least 48 hours in advance, if practical).
Here are some things to keep in mind about the Scope of Sales Appointment Confirmation form:
- The beneficiary needs to initial beside all of the plans you will discuss
All information needs to be legible, paying particular attention to:
- The beneficiary’s name and Medicare ID number
- The agent’s first and last name
- Complete the form in its entirety, providing all pertinent information requested
- All information provided on the form will be kept confidential
- Submit the Scope of Appointment form with the enrollment documentation
We thank you in advance for assisting us in this manner. This helps expedite the member enrollment process and ensures compliance with CMS guidelines.